Snap cap editor pen
Snap cap Editor Pen Kits Assembly Instructions
• Pen Mandrel
• 8mm Drill Bit
• Set of Bushings: snap cap
• Glue (Thick CA or Epoxy)
• Drill or Drill Press
• Barrel Trimmer/Disc Sander
• Pen Press or Clamp
• Eye and Ear Protection
Preparing the Blank:
• Cut 1 blank to the length of the tube and add 1/16” for squaring off.
• Drill a 8mm hole lengthwise through the blank.
• Spread glue over the tube, insert the blank with a twisting motion to spread the glue evenly inside.
• Center the tube lengthwise inside the blank.
• When the glue is dry, square the end of the blank. Use barrel trimmer or a universal pen blank squaring jig with a power disc sander. Take the excess material down flush with the ends of the brass tube. (do not trim beyond the length of the tube since this may interfere with operation of the mechanism and assembly).
Turning the Blank
• Mount the bushings and blanks according to diagram B.
• Thread on the knurled nut and hand tighten to hold all components in place. (Unless you use the mandrel saver than skip the nut)
• Slide the tailstock up snugly against the mandrel shaft inserting the live center point into the mandrel dimple, lock in place.
• Hand tighten the quill adjustment to firm up the mandrel. (DO NOT overtighten, it could damage the mandrel )
• Using sharp tools, turn the blank down close to the bushing diameter. Turn the barrel (straight or to a profile of your choice)
• Sand the blank down to be flush with the bushings gradually increasing the sandpaper grits.
• Finish the barrel with your choice of polish. Allow sufficient time for the polish to cure. (Our choice is Craft coat, unless doing a resin blank in which case skip the finish and go right to polishing with magic juice)
layout parts according to diagram above
1. press the end cap into either end of the tube
2.put the refill with spring inside the tube
3.press the tip into the other end of the tube
4.place cap on pen