Hourglass pen kit turning instructions
Hourglass Twist Pen Kits Assembly Instructions
• 7mm pen mandrel
• 2-piece Bushing Set Hourglass
• 8mm Drill Bit
• Barrel Trimmer
• Live Tailstock Center
• Glue (Thick CA or Epoxy)
Preparing the Blank
• Cut 1 blank to the length of the tube and add 1/16” for squaring off.
• Drill a 8mm hole lengthwise through the blank.
• Spread glue over the tube, insert the blank with a twisting motion to spread the glue evenly inside.
• Center the tube lengthwise inside the blank.
• When the glue is dry, square the ends of the blank. Use a 8mm barrel trimmer, or a universal pen blank squaring jig with a power disc sander. Take the excess material down flush with the ends of the brass tube. (do not trim beyond the length of the tube since this may interfere with operation of the mechanism and assembly). Use a barrel trimmer to clean the inside of the tube.
Turning the Blank
• Mount the bushings and blank according the diagram above.
• Thread on the knurled nut and hand tighten to hold all components in place.
• Slide the tailstock up snugly against the mandrel shaft inserting the live center point into the mandrel dimple, lock in place.
• Hand tighten the quill adjustment to firm up the mandrel. (DO NOT overtighten, it could damage the mandrel.
• Using sharp tools, turn the blank down close to the bushing diameter. Turn the barrel (straight or to a profile of your choice)
• Sand the blank down to be flush with the bushings gradually increasing the sandpaper grits.
• Finish the barrel with your choice of polish. Allow sufficient time for the polish to cure.
Layout parts according to diagram A
1. Press the tip into one end of the inner tube.
2. Press the twist mechanism into opposite end of the same inner tube. Don’t press too far in. You want to be just past the indented line above the brass portion of the twist mechanism. I would suggest going a little at a time and testing how far the tip of the refill sticks out and adjust to your preference!
3. Press the tube into the tip assembly.
4. Affix the refill guide over the mini refill. Insert the refill into to the opening at the tip assembly, screw into the bottom.
5.Press the halves of the pen to close the gap.
The pen operates by twisting the ends to advance or retract the refill tip.
To operate hours glass hold vertically until all sand is in the lower capsule. Place pen on cap - sand will transfer in about a minute