Bullet Style Pen Kit Turning Instructions
Rifle Bolt Pen Kits Assembly Instructions
- 7mm pen mandrel
- 2piece Bolt Action Bushing set
- 3/8’’ Drill bit
- Live Tailstock Center
- 2 part epoxy glue or CA glue (cyanoacrylate)
- Minimum Blank size: 5/8”x2-1/4”
Preparing the Blanks:
- Cut one pen blank to the length of the brass tube (add 1/16” for trimming).
- Drill a 3/8” hole lengthwise through the
- Spread the glue over the tube. Insert the tube into the blank with a twisting motion to spread the glue evenly Center the tube lengthwise inthe blank.
- When the glue dries, Square the end of each blank. Use a Barrel trimmer with 3/8” shaft or a universal pen blank squaring jig with a power disc sander. Take the wood down to the brass tube. Do not trim beyond the length of the tube since this may interfere with operation of the mechanism and
Use the barrel trimmer shaft to clean the inside of the tube.
Turning the Blanks:
- Mount the bushings and blanks on the mandrel according to Diagram“B”
- Thread on the knurled nut and hand tighten to hold all components in
- Slide the tailstock up snugly against the mandrel shaft inserting the live center point into the mandrel dimple, lock in place.
- Hand tighten the quill adjustment to firm up the (DO NOT overtighten, it could damage the mandrel.
- Using sharp tools, turn the blank down close to the bushing Turn the barrel (straight or to a profile of your choice)
- Sand the blank down to be flush with the bushings gradually increasing the sandpaper
- Finish the barrel with your choice of finish, Allow sufficient time for the polish to cure.
According to the Diagram C
- Position the bolt either in Position A or Position (Delivered in position A)
- Position A - Check to see if bolt is tightly in To tighten see Note 1
- Position B - Reverse the direction of the See Note 1 on loosening / tightening the bolt.
- Rotate the clip to slot (press into slot)- do this by Unscrewing the Cap and rotating the
- Re- attach the cap after re-positioned
NOTE: Layout Finished parts according to Diagram A
- Press the front end into either end of the
- Press the clip assembly into the opposite end of the
- Unscrew the tip and insert the refill into the opening at the tip
- Insert the spring over the refill and replace the
- Lock or unlock the bolt to extend or retract the refill
NOTE: Please do not press the front end of this kit with the tip removed. If you do so the parts will not assemble properly and you will void our warranty
Changing and tightening the bolt.
To loosen or tighten the bolt, loosen or tighten the set screw as shown below in diagram C. Take a long phillips screw driver with a small head, insert into the back end as shown, Rotate the bolt as necessary and tighten the set screw.